Yoga for Height Increase: Postures to Stretch and Strengthen
Yoga potentially contributes to height increase exercise as well as promotes physical and mental well-being, aids in improving posture, and flexibility. While genetics largely determine our height, incorporating specific yoga postures into your daily routine can help stretch and strengthen the spine, promoting better alignment and creating the appearance of added height. Let’s look at some of the Yoga postures that help you increase your height.
Why Yoga is Effective for Increasing Height?
While genetics play a primary role in determining one’s height, certain yoga practices can potentially aid in increasing height by improving posture, flexibility, and spinal alignment. Here are the key reasons why yoga is considered effective for height increase:
- Yoga Helps in Decompressing the Spine
- Yoga Improves Posture
- Yoga Gives You Core Body Strength
- Yoga Noursihes the Spine
- Yoga Increases Stretchability and Flexibility
Now let us look at the Yoga Postures or Asanas you shall include in your fitness routine to increase your height.
Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
The Mountain Pose, also known as Tadasana, is an excellent starting point to align the body and improve posture. Here’s how to do it:
- Stand tall with your feet together and arms by your sides.
- Engage your leg muscles and lengthen your spine.
- Lift the crown of your head towards the ceiling, keeping your shoulders relaxed.
- Breathe deeply and hold the pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
The Downward-Facing Dog is a rejuvenating pose that stretches the entire body, particularly the spine and hamstrings. Follow these steps:
- Begin on your hands and knees, with your wrists aligned under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Exhale and lift your knees off the floor, straightening your legs as much as possible.
- Press your hands firmly into the mat and lengthen your spine.
- Stay in this position for 1-2 minutes, breathing deeply.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
The Cobra Pose is a backbend that targets the spine’s upper and middle regions, improving flexibility and posture. To perform the Cobra Pose:
- Lie face down with your palms placed beside your shoulders.
- Inhale and lift your chest off the floor, using your back muscles.
- Keep your elbows slightly bent and shoulders relaxed.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute while breathing deeply.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
The Bridge Pose is excellent for stretching the spine, chest, and neck, as well as strengthening the back and glutes. Here’s how to do it;
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Place your arms alongside your body, with your palms facing down.
- Inhale and lift your hips off the floor, pressing into your feet and shoulders.
- Hold the Bridge Pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute while breathing smoothly.
Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
The Triangle Pose is a standing pose that stretches the spine and hamstrings while improving overall balance. To do the Triangle Pose:
- Stand with your feet wide apart, one foot turned out, and the other slightly inward.
- Extend your arms to the sides at shoulder height.
- Inhale and reach towards the extended foot with your hand, keeping your spine straight.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds on each side, breathing deeply.
Practice these Aasanas, height-increasing exercises along with a nutritious diet plan. Remember, any practice or diet can’t increase your height overnight. It might take months or at least a year to get positive results. Be consistent in practising these Aasanas with a positive mindset.